Thursday 8 August 2013

Exploring Alphabets - Letter "E"

I have explored various sites to find out various approaches others use to teach alphabets to Toddlers and Preschoolers. 

This is what I have summarized from various sites on how to Teach the Alphabet to Preschoolers:

  • Read, read, and read. Read nursery rhymes, rhyming books, picture books and chapter books. Just READ.
  • Notice print in the world around you. Call attention to exit signs, the toothpaste tube, and the Cheerios box.
  • Explore the alphabet, letter by letter. 
  • Keep it fun. 

Inspired by Anna's blog, I wrote a large E on chart sheet, ( or you can print from here). (Sorry for the bad picture, I captured in wrong direction)



Then I asked Medha to fill 'E' with beads to reinforce the shape of 'E'. 

But Medha was not interested at all to do that. She already knows that it is E, but still I wanted her to know how to write too. Hence I had to give her different toy to change her mood. 


And in the evening, I again took out the Giant Letter and asked her whether she wanted to do or not. Though she said NO first, she came to me again and asked to give me the beads. 

But as she decided to do it by sitting in sofa, beads are not good option. So I convinced her to use letter blocks from my Crossword game. 




Finally, she completed filling E.  :)  This can be repeated any number of times by changing the items to fill.  She did it twice and then felt bore. No worries, we should not force her to do this.  They should have fun while learning :) Be patient.


We can use shirt buttons, building blocks or cashews, dry dates etc. :) 

I am looking forward to explore other letters too..  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Printfriendly