Thursday 3 October 2013

Why I don't prefer Sugar and Chocolates for Kids or atleast for Medha?

Last week I had gone to one of friend's house. In the welcome treat, she offered some cream biscuits to lil Medha. I refused to show the plate of cream biscuits to Medha. And then she asked me the reason. I said " It has lot of sugar and I never encourage kids eating Sugar either directly or cream biscuits or chocolates or lollipops".  She is little surprised and asked me back "Didn't you ever had Sugar/Chocolates/Cream Biscuits in your life? You know, Sugar makes kids hyperactive."



Though I was shocked to hear the second statement, I replied " Well, I don't know how truth it is. But so far none of the pediatricians or Gynecologist I have consulted for me and Medha never suggested Sugar either during my pregnancy or for kids. (Note: Little intake of sugar is must but not excess quantity.) . And of course I love chocolates and sweets a lot, but I don't want to encourage her as  
The ugly truth is that added sugar means empty calories (no nutrients beyond calories) that put kids at risk of obesity and health problems that can show up as early as adolescence.

Following are scientific reasons that you should consider why to avoid Sugar for Kids:
  • Excess sugar depresses Immunity
  • Tooth Decay
  • Obesity 
But her second statement "Sugar makes kids hyperactive" is still revolving in my mind even after coming back home and decided to find out whether it's truth or not. I wanted to know not because I felt guilty as if that's truth, I have not added something that is useful for my daughter. The truth is I am sure she had enough intake of sugar as part of her daily intake as I replaced Sugar with Honey (where commercial ones are made from sugar), jaggery (which again contains little amount of sugar elements in it). 

After searching several health sites in Google about this, I realized that it's not real FACT after going through few searches. This happens just because every one loves sweetness and taste buds enjoys sweetness more than any other taste. 

Anyway all this is my personal view about this. As per my pediatrician, sugar intake for kids below 4 years should not be more than 8 - 10 spoons either in direct sugar form, or as part of ingredients of any food item. Hence I decided not to give Sugar until I can avoid (as I know one day I cannot hold her back not to eat Sugar either because she's grown and can decide herself or because it happens in absence of me.) I believe that if you avoid right from early childhood it really would beneficial for healthier life of kids and their future health too. Medha never asked me to add Sugar in either the milk or porridges or anything else. She prefers honey or jaggery or misri. 


Few friends and neighbors asked me can we really stop them eating Chocolates or Sweets or Sugar or any "sometime" foods? How am I managing? 

Yes, I agree. We cannot always stop them eating Sugar or chocolates. I never gave any chocolates or sweets to Medha until she is 2 years. That doesn't meant she didn't had any sweets until she is 2 years old. She had eaten sweets sometimes when others fed (I mean some people in relatives whom I cannot stop them doing it).

And now she is 2 years 7 months old, Recently one of neighbor flat mate started offering cream biscuits to her though I requested her not to.  Now Medha goes to her house only to get Cream Biscuit, as soon as she gives the biscuit, she returns home. For me, these cases are unavoidable and I am not able to handle. 

Trust me, to avoid this kind of unnecessary food to kids you need lot of family support.

Rajesh sometimes offers sweets to Medha (ofcourse most of the times he supports me)  and asks me what happens if it is once in a while as he feels that I am over protective about Medha having sweets and chocolates. I don't know how to convince the family, it's not about something happens if Medha having sweets once in a while , it's about increasing her craving for sweets or sugar or chocolates once you make them eat.

Anyway as I said earlier, until I can control the food ingredients for Medha - I am doing so.

But whenever I get to know that she had some chocolate or cream biscuits or sweets, I totally cut down the sugar for her on that day or very next day (As I feel this is only what I can do) not by adding candysugar and honey too in her foods wherever possible.

Why jaggery (Bellam in Telugu, Sarkara in Malayalam, Vellam in tamil) is a better substitute for sugar in Children’s diet

Jaggery is rich with minerals and vitamins and contains sugar elements glucose and sucrose that would help cure indigestion, stomach upset and constipation. Jaggery is a store of iron that it helps in the growth of children. Jaggery is a wonderful source of calcium, phosphorous and zinc.

Jaggery will not go well with milk. You can therefore use candy sugar (Misri) or Honey for porridges and soups that use milk. For recipes that do not use milk, jaggery can be used. Cereal porridges and banana powder porridge can be prepared in water, adding jaggery for taste. I used to give my child banana powder porridge (without milk) and ragi porridge with jaggery added to it. 

Can honey be used instead of sugar in cereal porridges?

Even though honey is a good sweetening agent with health and medicinal benefits, it is not advisable to give honey to infants daily. Honey is little constipating. Honey would harden stools, making child constipated. Honey can be added to porridges and milk once in a while. Honey goes well with milk.





Dates for sweetening milk

Dates can be added to milk for sweetening. Squeeze dates and put it in milk for 2 hours. This would flavour milk in such a way that children would like it. This would also ensure that children get the health benefits of milk and dates. Dates extract can also be added to sweeten porridges and soups.

Avoid sugar in fruit juices for children

Fruit juices do have sweetness. Avoid putting sugar in juices. Children can be taught drinking juice without sugar. Dates extract (made by squeezing soaked dates) can be added to fruit juices. Dates extract can sweeten fruit juices. In order to sweeten fruit juices I do sometimes add extract of dry grapes (raisins) to juices. Dry grapes (red grapes is the best). Should be soaked in water and squeezed to get the juice. This juice is so sweet. A spoonful of this extract can be added to other fruit juices that need to be sweetened. This would help you avoid sugar.
The views and opinions in this post are totally personal. It's ok if any of you disagree with me or my views, I can't force you to be right. :) 

2 comments:

Printfriendly